Linux SUSE for RAC SE? caveats?

  • From: "Carmen Rusu" <carmen.rusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:10:39 -0600

Mgmt is buying a  Linux 10g SE Oracle license that comes with RAC - to save $$

The project needs 9.2.0.4 RAC, which I will have to install on SUSE Linux v8 (E
or S) boxes - 2 boxes per cluster, 1 cluster, each box has 2  Pentium IV 2.4ghz
CPUs.

I am trying to figure out if we need any Linux clustering component, ie at the
OS level,  and what are the problems with installing 9.2.0.4 RAC SE on SUSE
Linux.
I've been told that Red Hat is more expensive ($1500) than SUSE ($300) Linux
and that's why we're not getting it!

Recently there was a discussion on the list about dbs on Linux but not about
the RAC (SE) option. There was one post mentioning good results with  Red Hat 3
and RAC but no  details on EE or SE (see below)

Thanks,
Carmen Rusu
dba

>>> chao_ping@xxxxxxxxxxx 2/26/2004 11:51:15 PM >>>

oracle 9.2.0.4 on redhat 3 should be ok, as I have a friend's site running
9204 rac on redhat 3 with heavy load, system has been up stable for nearly 1
month. They will soon expand to 4 node rac.

Regards
Zhu Chao