RE: Linux RAC and asynch io - OCFS & "filesystemio_options" parameter?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <CMarquez@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:06:01 -0500

Confiliting info/dates:

-------------
Note:252331.1
Last Revision Date:     16-APR-2004
"as of ocfs 1.0.9-4 ocfs as a filesystem supports async io
functionality."

-------------
Note:240575.1
Last Revision Date:     03-MAY-2004
"Presently Async I/O is not available for the Oracle Clustered File
System(OCFS),
Make sure that all Oracle datafiles reside on filesystems that support
asynchronous I/O.
(For example, ext2, ext3)
disk_asynch_io=3Dtrue (default value is true)
filesystemio_options=3Dasynch"

My config;
9205
ocfs 1.0.13-1

Anyone want to take a guess as to what "filesystemio_options" should be
set to?

Could find a direct answer on Metalink...I would guess
"filesystemio_options=3Dasynch",
because my (Cluster) filesystem supports async IO?

PS I found no posted issues regarding database crashes, Linux & async
I/O!?

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor(tm) - heymonitor.com
"Oracle Monitoring & Alerting Solution"

FUL NOTE DEATAILS
METALINK

----------
Doc ID:                 Note:252331.1
Subject:                Update on OCFS for Linux
Last Revision Date:     16-APR-2004

Support for Async IO.
as of ocfs 1.0.9-4 ocfs as a filesystem supports async io functionality.
However, the oracle rdbms code disables asyncio, even when linked in.
There is a patch in the works that can be applied on top of 9.2.0.4 to
re-enable async io on ocfs.
This first needs to go through a round of testing.

----------
Doc ID:                 Note:240575.1
Subject:                RAC on Linux Best Practices
Last Revision Date:     03-MAY-2004

?        Using Asynchronous I/O
Asynchronous I/O can be used on RAWIO, EXT2, EXT3, REISERFS filesystem.
Asynchronous IO is not supported on NFS.
Presently Async I/O is not available for the Oracle Clustered File
System(OCFS),
because the Linux kernel does not expose the API needed.=20
We hope the API is exposed in the RedHat 3.0 release, so OCFS can
support asynchronous I/O.

To enable asynchronous I/O for Oracle9iR2 on Red Hat Linux Advanced
Server 2.1 and
United Linux 1.0 you must re-link Oracle using the Async I/O library,
libaio, as follows:

cd to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
make -f ins_rdbms.mk async_on
make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle

Two parameters in the init.ora need to be changed, add following lines
to the appropriate init.ora file:
---Parameter settings in init.ora for raw devices:
disk_asynch_io=3Dtrue (default value is true)

---Parameter settings in init.ora file or spfile.ora for filesystem
files:
Make sure that all Oracle datafiles reside on filesystems that support
asynchronous I/O. (For example, ext2, ext3)
disk_asynch_io=3Dtrue (default value is true)
filesystemio_options=3Dasynch

To get better I/O throughput:
For DSS workloads, the /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-size has to be increased
from the default 131072 bytes to >=3D1M.
For OLTP workloads, the default size of 131072 would suffice, as these
workloads perform very small writes.
You can set this value by executing the following command as root user:
echo >/proc/sys/fs/aio-max-size 1048576