Re: Linux NIC bonding

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:33:44 +0100

Hi Dan

What mode do you use, 0, 1, 2.. etc? Sounds you have used 1 (active-backup).
This is what kernel doc says about it:

active-backup or 1

        Active-backup policy: Only one slave in the bond is
        active.  A different slave becomes active if, and only
        if, the active slave fails.  The bond's MAC address is
        externally visible on only one port (network adapter)
        to avoid confusing the switch.

        In bonding version 2.6.2 or later, when a failover
        occurs in active-backup mode, bonding will issue one
        or more gratuitous ARPs on the newly active slave.
        One gratutious ARP is issued for the bonding master
        interface and each VLAN interfaces configured above
        it, provided that the interface has at least one IP
        address configured.  Gratuitous ARPs issued for VLAN
        interfaces are tagged with the appropriate VLAN id.

        This mode provides fault tolerance.  The primary
        option, documented below, affects the behavior of this
        mode.

I have always used 0 in the past

Thanks

--