Linux NIC bonding

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:22:11 -0800 (PST)

I'm building a cluster using Oracle Clusterware and have configured redundant
pairs of NICs on the Linux servers using the Linux bonding module
(active-passive). I know how to configure the Linux end of things and that's
working fine. However, the switches used by this customer (they're Dell
branded--not sure who really makes the guts) have been getting "confused" by
bonding and our simple ping tests lose about 50% of the packets when we plug
the redundant pairs into the two separate (trunked) switches.

This is only peripherally related to Oracle--it's really a networking and
server config issue, but I'm hoping that someone with more networking
background than I have can explain what switch configuration will enable this
to work properly. The customer has stated that this will never work (though I
have done it before at other sites and it worked fine). The customer has stated
that the Linux configuration must be two active NICs
 with a virtual IP and virtual MAC. I imagine that will work, but I'm not
familiar with that configuration and I don't think Linux has native support for
it, so it'd probably be a Broadcom or Intel software package. It's questionable
how Oracle would view that from a support perspective (if they care at all).

So, the question: Is there some "magical" switch setting that would possibly be
missing in a fairly "default" configuration that might enable this to work
properly? I figure it's a long shot asking a networking question on the Oracle
list, but thanks for any pointers.

Dan