Re: Linux

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 08:27:57 -0400

On 10/9/19 8:09 AM, Noveljic Nenad wrote:

Thank you, Mladen – then we’ll start our evaluation with OL7.

Is there any particular reason why you didn’t mention KVM ( https://www.redhat.com/en/topics/virtualization/what-is-KVM ) for virtualization?

VMWare isn’t strategic in our shop. In contrast, we’ve been having an absolutely positive experience with Hyper-V for hosting SQL Server, but we would like to avoid it for Oracle, as we’d need to deal with yet another team, where it isn’t absolutely necessary.

No particular reason. As a consultant, I have most frequently encountered the aforementioned  hypervisors. I have no experiences with KVM, either good or bad.

Anybody can share their experiences with OVM?

OVM  can pretty much do what all other hypervisors can also do. In addition to that, OVM virtual machines can be easily moved to Oracle Cloud and Oracle is willing to discount the price for databases is you buy OVM, which makes things cheaper for you. Again, those are business reasons, not technical reasons. Hypervisor software has reached a level of maturity, just like office software. All the office software suites can doc and docx documents, export them as PDF and edit styles and fonts. BTW, OVM is KVM based.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant