Re: Limit on number of columns in an index

  • From: "Ram Raman" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:06:17 -0500

The table has 60 columns. The problem is that this is a temporary table
which gets used only when the process is run and gets truncated afterwards.
While running, currenlty it gets populated with 1.4 million rows. The rows
are inserted and then updated based on several criteria. Towards the end of
the process, the values from this table are inserted to another permanent
table.  The process is taking more than 2x longer now (2+ hrs now) than
before because of increased volumes of data.

The insertion was slow, I tuned it. Many update statements are issued
against the temp table. I am trying to make things faster. I tried creating
few indexes ont he temp table(!).  Hope they dont slow down the insertions.
I did not try parallelizing the queries.

Env: Pplsoft, 10g