RE: Licensing for test and development servers?

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <OracleDude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:51:25 -0400

In my humble non legal opinion.
If you use the Oracle product to produce a product that is used in
production,
then you need a license for the development server. I believe that you
can load
the Oracle products to test/play with them to familiarize yourself with
them to
see if you could use or need the product. Once you use the product for
your
work environment then you need to license it.
If you have a question about the cost then look at the named user
option
for the development server.
I have 10g loaded on a Linux box that is not used for anything work
related.
I use it to familiarize myself with the options and increase my
knowledge and
practice for the OCP upgrade. Our production server is a cpu license
for 8i
and our development/test server is named users for 8i.
Ron

>>> "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx> 09/09/2004 4:04:40 PM >>>
This is not legal advice (see someone with a valid law practice for
that)
but it would appear that as long as you are working on a single copy of
program that you are not using for either your own internal use and
that is
not running at any other sites then you are developing and do not need
purchase a license.  I would think program here could be plural as in
you
are developing an application that might consist of a dozen programs.

But as soon as you use the programs to conduct training you must buy a
license or if you start using the application either in-house or
somewhere
else you must buy licenses.  Conducting training in advance of
implementing
the application either internally or externally would probably be a
trigger
point for requiring a license.

This is the best I can figure it.  We run production so we have
licenses
that I believe cover us, but it never hurts to try to keep up with
this
stuff.  When in doubt dump the problem on management.  If you are
management
then pass it by legal.  Better safe than sorry.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --