Re: License pricing

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ryan January <rjanuary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 20:47:58 -0500

On 03/07/2016 08:15 PM, Ryan January wrote:

Getting back to the original point; I anticipate this all to have no impact on per core Oracle licensing costs.

I beg to differ. Competition lowers prices. And SQL Server is a formidable competitor. It's as simple as that. SQL Server is much cheaper than Oracle, the price of DBA personnel is much lower, monitoring tools are integrated with the database, no special prices for partitioning or the right to create multiple databases, plus a lot of available applications. Logic tells me to expect a price drop. Let's wait and see. At this point is all just a guess from both you and me. However, SQL Server pushed Oracle out of the Windows market, Microsoft holds 46% of all installed databases in Windows market. If that trend continues on Linux and Unix, Oracle will have a fight on its hands. Here is my source:

http://www.insideris.com/sql-server-pricing-oracle-vs-ibm-vs-microsoft/

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA