Large Pool and ORA-04031

  • From: "Tracy Rahmlow" <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:55:47 -0600

Is it possible to receive an ORA-04031on a large_pool that is too small? I
did not think so until I stumbled across the following note (62140.1) on
Metalink:

MTS and the Large Pool
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  If there is a large pool configured MTS will ONLY try to use this pool
  for a sessions UGA. When a new session is started a small amount of
memory
  (known as the fixed UGA) is allocated in the shared pool and the rest of
  the session memory (UGA) is taken from the large pool.  If there is
  insufficient space left in the large pool an ORA-4031 error will be
  returned similar to this:

    ORA-04031: unable to allocate 636 bytes of shared memory
                ("large pool","EMPSCOTT","session heap","define var info")

If you run out of memory in the large_pool will Oracle begin to use the
shared_pool?  I believe this is an error in the note?  Do you agree?

NOTE:
On Aug. 1 my e-mail address changed to tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxxx  Please
begin using my new e-mail address starting Aug. 1. E-mails sent to my
current address, tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx, will reach me through Feb. 1,
2006

Tracy Rahmlow | Lead Database Analyst
Information Systems
Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance

AMEX Assurance Company
IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company
3500 Packerland Drive | De Pere, WI 54115-9070
Office: 920.330.5164 | Fax: 920.330.5350
tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
ameriprise.com/autohome
Ameriprise made the following
 annotations on 12/16/05, 14:56:03

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information
included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and
immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."