Large PGA for a data warehouse on Windows 2003 advanced server(32 bit)

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:14:38 -0500

Dear List,

I am developing a data warehouse using Oracle 10g R1 on Windows 2003
advanced server(32 bit). The server has 32gb of ram and ideally I'd like to
allocate a good portion of it to the pga and not just db block buffers. As I
understand it windows "sees" 4gb of ram, 2gb of which is for windows, 1gb
which is used for db block buffers which can map to higher regions of memory
for larger amounts of db block buffers, leaving only 1gb of memory for the
sga and pga. I'd like to know if there is a way to use more of the ram for
the pga, in the neighborhood of 4-6gb.

My background is on the unix side, so please keep the switch to linux
comments to a minimum. I do not have a choice in this matter.

Thanks,

Ken Naim