RE: Large ASM installation

  • From: "Randy Johnson" <oraclelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>, <stalinsk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:24:21 -0500

External redundancy is most appropriate when using enterprise class SAN's
like EMC. Use normal redundancy for less resiliant or trustworthy storage. I
don't see high redundancy used much but I expect it would be useful for
slower/cheaper JBOD storage or low end, 3rd tier storage. If its done right,
each higher level of redundancy means more IOPS (more spindles), and higher
data transfer rate (assuming you configure a fat enough pipe to the disks).

        -Randy