Re: Laptop for Lots of VMs

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:29:41 +1000

I use a MacbookPro 15" with 4GB RAM, dual-core CPU (half a year old). I can run a database natively in MacOS as well as two VMs using VMWare Fusion (debian & Windows7) and run db's with some performance in those as well. More than 2 VMs does not really work for me... All VMs are located on the internal (500G) disk.

I also found that the VMs should not have more than one CPU allocated, or performance goes up the creek. Especially when the guest OS is Windows. I remember seeing an article on hypervisors and multiple-threaded cpu's that explained this, but can't find it anymore.

I expect that the performance would not necessarily improve much with more memory, but more cores in the CPU may make a difference.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Vishal Gupta wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I can access my home desktop machine from anywhere in the world as well. As I have a fixed IP address. But trouble with that is when ur mobile broadband is not working due to weak signal at client site and you want to try out something fast, home desktop data centre is of no use. And many clients restrict the Internet ssh connectivity and remote desktop sites like (logmein, team viewer, rdp, ssh over Internet so no tunnelling possible etc) I think I get more value for money by having the machine at home. My home machines never shuts down, it's switched on all the time. Coming back to my original question, does anyone run lot of VMs on MacBook pro? Does it perform well enough?

Regards,
Vishal

On 24 Nov 2010, at 18:08, Fernando José Andrade <jotawolf@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jotawolf@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I agree with Martin, for me the best mobile solution is a hosted server and a thin light laptop ( a macbook air 13" better).

For testing elastic and on demand elastic cloud like amazon or ...

<snip for Ecartis quote limit>