Re: Laptop Oracle exercises

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:43:04 -0700

On 10/01/2014 10:22 AM, Dba DBA wrote:
As far as lab machines go... I generally build my own PCs. I have 16 GB of RAM. I think my motherboard can handle 64 GBs. RAM is pretty cheap when your just buying the sticks and upgrading yourself.

I used to do that. Turns out the cost (to me) is higher than going to refurb'd Dells, in part because I decided to include the time to get the equipment from the vendor, and assemble it. (Been there, done that, for too many years. Got bored.) And they have legal COAs if I want to retrofit Winders.

The newer generation motherboard are much more user friendly than in the past. The interfaces are much more robust and you can find videos on the web for just about any motherboard.

Very true. But the last refurb machine I just bought (CDN$200) also had VGA and DisplayPort, GB ethernet, and nice *small* case.

I also highly recommend SSD drives for lab machines. Installs go alot faster. I have 2, 120 GB SSDs. I can run 2 VM installs on 2 different SSDs at the same time and its alot faster than using a regular hard drive. if you don't want to sit at your pc, you can use a laptop or a tablet (I use an ipad) and run cheap remote software like splashtop to do your installs from another room.

I love the SSDs. That's why my MacBook (15" Retina) was ordered with the big one, about 1/2 second after it became available in Canada 19 months ago.

/Hans