LUN Question (CHKDSK & Indexing)

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Oracle L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:38:01 -0600

Guys/Gals,

We ran into an issue on our Windows 2003 server reporting incorrect filesystem
space.  I shutdown all our databases using the affected LUN and ran a CHKDSK /R
on the LUN.

ChkDsk reported an error:
"The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file
614 of name ."

Has anyone seen this?  I'm assuming a CHKDSK cluster repair on a LUN drive
should run normally as files are stored in clusters and the filesystem is NTFS.
 These are logical units of file storage.
Is that a correct assumption?

ALSO, during this process, I noticed that "Allow Indexing" is turned on for the
Oracle datafile drives.  I've never noticed this before and would assume this
indexing should be turned off?

The INDEXING SERVICE is disabled, so I'm not sure if the "Allow Indexing"
option even matters - my assumption is that it does not when the indexing
service is disabled.
Would this be correct?

Thanks,

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.