RE: LOB Operation and SQL*Net Message From Client and cursor #0

  • From: "Larry Elkins" <elkinsl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Mark W. Farnham'" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:10:30 -0500

> So a lot of the time is spent on the line turn-around, and both tools count
> that latency against the
> other guy.

Correct, the guy using opnet is saying that turn from the app server layer to
the db and back is all on the DB, next to nothing on
the network itself, and not much with regards to client think time on the
client. And of course tracing is saying mostly sql*net
message from client, the time to stuff the data in the tcp buffer, go down the
wire, client think time, and come back up. And it's
not my place to say his tool is wrong and 10046 is right ;-) Maybe they both
are right and it's in a virtualization layer that is
hit after the NIC. It's something we are considering, though I don't have the
skills or knowledge to dig into that, someone else
will have to go there.

> Can you use a bigger packet?
> Can you try placing your client process directly on the dbserver?

Can't get the client code there, but taking the SQL statement in question, the
one driving all the elapsed time, I run SQL*Plus on
the server, both through SQL*Net and bypassing SQL*Net, array size 100 like
they do, and "set autotrace trace stat" to discard the
rows and not eat time rendering them on the screen, and the processing time
drops to 1/10 what it was within the application, with
the actual DB time about the same. Unaccounted for time was also similar,
though percentage wise constituted a much larger slice of
total time.

When repeating with SQL*Plus on a desktop, the total timings came more in line
with what we see with the application, though the
unaccounted for time went up compared to SQL*Plus on the server. The fetch
calls match up with the array size, it's just those OPI
level trips where we add a lot more trips into the mix, and don't show up on
the cursor's fetch count.

> One last thing: Usually tracing on is a minor side effect, but if there is a
> throughput challenge on
> your trace/output directory and your only wait is a long stream of message
> waits, that could add up to
> significance. So carefully compare the times traced and untraced to rule this
> out.

Your comments did make me think about going back and looking at unaccounted for
time (something, maybe Tanel posting, about those
OPI calls work not being counted anywhere). And timing is the same without
tracing.

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cell: 214.695.8605