RE: LOB Operation and SQL*Net Message From Client and cursor #0

  • From: "Larry Elkins" <elkinsl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 06:49:50 -0500

I was unclear in the original email. The .001353 was *total* time the tool
reported for network transfer, 358,963 trips.

For this particular test, duration 211 seconds, no PIO's recorded for the
query, less than .5 seconds CPU, 180 seconds message from
client, and 30 seconds unaccounted for time (mostly LOB related?). I have a
tool that can help with the unaccounted for time and
help with your suggestions on timestamps.

The opnet tool attributed 14 seconds to application time (SQL*Plus), .001353
network, and the rest DB, so basically 197 seconds
attributed to the DB. From the 10046 if we take the 30 seconds unaccounted plus
.5 CPU that is still far short of the 197 seconds
opnet is putting on the DB. And I'll have to ask the infrastructure folks about
the point Mark made regarding the turns themselves.

The main thing I was going for was the question if there are any known
instrumentation issues such as LOB operations, for example,
getting attributed to the wrong event, such as message from client, and if
there were other known accounting issues with LOBS. From
some readings, and comments in this thread, it seems some (maybe much) of the
LOB activity could fall into the unaccounted bucket.
Haven't come across anything yet regarding LOB activity getting attributed to
the wrong event.

If I make any other progress in resolving the discrepancy I'll get back to the
list.

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cell: 214.695.8605