Re: LD_PRELOAD

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:37:14 -0600

I don't know a thing about LD_PRELOAD, but here is a link to an example of
how it might be used to diagnose performance issues:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/lib_interposers.html

I would expect that this would only be useful, though, if you know a lot
about the implementation of the program you are going to use it on.  Without
source code for Oracle, it might be of rather limited use.

The only other benefit I can imagine is perhaps using this to move a shared
library (very) commonly used by Oracle to the front of the list.  I've never
heard anybody talk about time to load shared libraries as a major
contributor to Oracle overhead, though, except perhaps in cases where your
applications are making very frequent connections to the database.  Most
people address that problem with connection pooling and similar techniques,
though.

Anyway, I'm kind of curious to learn what your sysadmins have in mind.  Let
us know if anything useful comes of this.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead