RE: Know of any downloadable histogram viewers for Oracle?

  • From: "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:29:39 -0500

I had to laugh at that one. =)

Reading the abase website, Cassandra sounds like an amazing tool. Although, a
few more features than we are interested in, their philosophy sounds... sound.
However, I am skeptical of their claim:

"Generating statistics for very large and heavily used tables with Oracle's
analyze command can take anything up to several hours depending on the size and
usage of the table being analyzed. With Cassandra, those statistics can be
calculated within minutes."

How can you do that without sampling? And once you start sampling, you
introduce the possibility of error.

Thanks for passing on this link, Mogens. Gives me something to think about.

Thought in passing: If alcohol consumption were directly related to software
quality, what does that say about software quality? =) I will purposefully not
mention any names.