Re: Keeping a DB from Phoning Home...

  • From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmann99@xxxxxxxxx" <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:09:29 +0000

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure how much flexibility you have, but, if the goal is to allow
communication w/ the app server, but be 100% sure that there is no way for
the db to talk to anything else, then just put the app servers and the db
server in the same LAN, and use IP addresses from the private,
non-routable blocks, such as 10.0.0.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/16. The db and app
servers will be able to talk to each other, but there's no chance that
they will be able to get to any other systems, or that any other systems
would be able to talk to them.

If you're not sure how to do that, you may want to have a chat with your
network engineering group.  It should be pretty trivial to set up.

Hope that helps,

-Mark