RE: Keeping December partition through the year

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:30:07 -0600

You can drop any partition from a partitioned table and keep any
partition, so you can drop the January 04 partition when you no longer
need or want that data, keeping the December 03 partition indefinitely.

Of course, if you have automated this process and the process looks for
the earliest partition to drop, you will, of course, have problems.
You'll need to resolve these implementation problems, but there are no
database functionality problems to the situation you describe.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC