Java prepared statements

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:24:33 -0000

For you Java experts, a question:

I am asking a developer to replace multiple (hundreds of thousands!) statements
using literals with a single statement using binds.  This, I gather, is the
purpose of a Java "prepared statement".  The developer tells me that an
external program calls this Java utility, which would create the prepared
statement each time it's called, bind the variables, and execute (it's a simple
delete from ...where column = value).

Will this result in a single SQL statement in the shared pool, hard parsed only
once?  Will it be soft parsed each time it's created?  If so, that should
achieve the desired result of reducing hard parses (this database suffers from
very several library cache/shared pool latch contention).  Is there a way to go
even further and eliminate soft parsing, too?

9iR2 on Solaris, Oracle JDBC driver.

Thanks,

Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx