Re: Jan 2015 JVM PSU

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hemant-K.Chitale@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 08:54:22 -0500

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Chitale, Hemant K
<Hemant-K.Chitale@xxxxxx> wrote:
> IMHO, a bad idea.  Components increasingly have dependencies.

Not testing all of your processes - which should discover dependencies
- is a bad idea.  Not installing unneeded components is definitely a
good idea.  (Also a requirement for some more stringent audits and
certifications.)

> For example, I
> remember that export would fail if JVM wasn't properly installed (maybe
> export works if JVM isn't installed at all)  Since 10g I've always installed
> the JVM.

I have never encountered data pump export being dependent on the JVM.
The only export oddity I've run into is TTS exports pre-11.2.0.3 will
fail of xmldb is not installed - but this is not a dependency it's a
bug.  There's a workaround (exclude=xmlschema) and patches available
to fix it. Dependencies should be documented as such; if you find a
"dependency" which is not documented then you should be opening a bug
against it so that it will either get acknowledged as an explicit
dependency and documented, or it will get fixed.  That sort of thing
is a very obvious bug report since it's so easily reproducible.

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider