Re: Is this Needed?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:36:25 +1000

Freeman, Donald apparently said,on my timestamp of 27/10/2005 12:40 AM:

I just received a notice from our technical team leader that we were
> going to schedule a 'refresh' on our transactional database in order
> to improve performance. They are going to truncate and reimport the
> production schema.  Is this technique useful for a 9i database?
> I'm thinking that in earlier versions of Oracle it might have been helpful
> but on the other hand I don't see any discussion of this on any board
> that I am monitoring.  Is this a waste of time?

The only thing that remotely could make a solid improvement is if the
db had DMT and they wanted to change to LMT.  Apart from that, it's
a gross waste of time.  And has been since V7.  Unless of course they
are hitting a bug somewhere and indexes are invalidated.

Before v7 it was as well, mostly because few dbas knew all they
had to do was adjust 2 init.ora parameters and the problem would
go away. Unfortunately, Oracle never explained that in their doco.
Hence the myth that stays until today.

Stay away from it, let the "con"sultant dig his own grave.
Ah yes: they'll find a way to "measure" that the peformance
has impproved after all that work.  But it won't stay like that
for long: just enough for the said "con"sultant to get the
invoice cleared for payment...

Like I said: stay away from it.
--
Cheers