RE: Is my Oracle Server issuing more IO than it can handle

  • From: "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Harel Safra' <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:13:10 -0500

Yes in theory that can be true but it depends on several factors:

1) assuming write-back caches on the array have not been disabled (which in my
opinion they should be)
2) the cache is sized correctly for the i/o load mix
3) block size
4) and is some arrays partitioning of the cache to disks

Even if they are adequately gauged there is still no guarantee that the
performance using cache will be sufficient.

This HP white-paper is an example of an XP10K/12K cache paritioning best
practices that Storage admins go through to try and get the best performance
possible:

http://www.filibeto.org/~aduritz/truetrue/storage/xp1/wp/4AA0-6542ENW.pdf

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator