Re: Is it possible to add existing datafiles to an oracle database?

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: srinivas.chintamani@xxxxxxxxx, David Pintor <painterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:47:20 -0700 (PDT)

LOL.... restoring Oracle is not a pain if you have thought about it BEFORE the
crash. Backing up Oracle is easy. However, you need the datafiles, the control
file and the online redo logs (if in NOARCHIVELOG mode) backed up with the
databse down. If you have those (or if in ARCHIVELOG mode if you have the
archived redo logs and you backed up the datafiles in hot backup mode or you
used RMAN) then you should be able to recover.

Sounds like your problem is that you stepped up from McMicrosoft to a real
database and didn't bother to understand what you were stepping up to. Don't
blame the database for your lack of planning. If only I had a fiver for the
number of times people assumed a particular backup strategy would work, and it
didn't. It's all right there, in the documentation (or in books)... all one has
to do is read and apply said knowledge. Oh... testing your backup strategy is
also probably a good idea.

Sheesh...

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)