Re: Is it a good idea to have primary key on DW table

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: my.oralce@xxxxxxxxx, taral.desai@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure why you see this as a performance issue vs. a scheduling
conflict...
1.  I would consider it normal impact to have waits until the primary key was
created-  always a better idea to have the pk or any index for that matter,
built at creation time or during a maintenance window.
2.  I have utilized indexes both the INDEX and USE_HASH hints to "narrow" down
my lead in table for a hash join between one fact table and another.  If a full
table scan is required, passing over a partition scan, then an index can be
very handy.
3.  Are you attempting to guarantee data integrity here or simply require an
index for performance?  Is the index cost-effective when you consider the
impact for inserts/updates/deletes to the table and if it's partitioned, is
this a global index that will hinder maintenance operations?

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."