RE: Is is safe to drop an empty tablespace?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:33:42 -0400

One slight gotcha is whether any prior existing object is within the
flashback guaranteed.

Presumably you intend to drop the tablespace AND whack the files to get back
space.

I haven't tried that, but I think you *might* be able to make such a query
fail.

Still, if you don't intend that to work for folks (which seems likely) you
should be okay.

Oh - check clusters too, but folks don't use them much anymore except for
the single table cluster trick(s), 'cause maintenance like the purging part
of archiving and purging is a pain for clusters.

Of course you can't tell from the database alone whether any batch processes
use permanent tables in that tablespace on the fly and then clean up after
themselves. You would discover any such process next time it ran after you
whacked the tablespace. If it is not re-runnable that might be a problem.

Regards,

mwf