Re: Is filesystemio_options relevant when the database is on ASM ?

  • From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:06:20 -0700

Direct NFS (dNFS) can lead to challenges for the underlying NAS infrastructure, because it eliminates the performance bottlenecks inherent in most OS implementations of the NFS client (what we usually call "kernel" NFS or kNFS). For example, dNFS will allow each Oracle process to make a direct connection to the NAS server, rather than funneling all I/O requests through a single connection. This means that the NAS server(s) need to be able to handle the increase in I/O traffic that the database will request from the storage.

So, it's not a flaw in dNFS that creates problems for some NAS setups - there are often performance limitations in the NAS server that were masked by kNFS limitations, and dNFS removes those limitations. dNFS does extremely well in environments that have the right setup to handle higher IOPS etc - if the application workload on top of the database requires a certain level of I/O throughput and latency, it's much easier to get to those levels with dNFS than with kNFS.

-KJ

--
Kevin Jernigan
Senior Director Product Management

On 10/17/14, 8:13 AM, Hameed, Amir wrote:

We started using DNFS about 1 ½ years ago and have been bleeding ever since. One of the issues is with the NAS technology from our vendor which we have found unstable. The IO timings fluctuate too much and the 10046 traces can easily prove it. The other issue is most likely with our network infrastructure, which we were told initially both by our data center folks and by our network vendor that we did not need a separate dedicate network for the private NAS traffic and that the existing switches would provide the QoS that is needed but now both are proposing a dedicated set of switches to try and resolve the issue.

DNFS works fine for environments that are not very demanding on the IOs and latency but based on our experience, it does not do well with high IOPS and low latency requirements.

                            *From:*oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx