Re: Is a RDBMS needed?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:03:48 +1000

Guillermo Alan Bort wrote,on my timestamp of 30/06/2011 10:24 PM:

Now, I don't think it's DBAs that increase the costs of the project, I think it
the DB Licenses that do.

Now now! We won't have any of that reality stuff here! Next someone might actually think they can save on licensing?

As a sidenote: where I work, we just paid Oracle more for a full cpu-based license than they have paid me in 4 years of work there.
While deciding to use MSSQL for the next main application...

Yeah: DBAs are "expensive".  Of course!...

wait, we went from the 4k of a SE to 20K in licensing... per CORE... fun! (I
might be off in the numbers as I've never actually had to deal with licenses...

You are...   Per core is a lot more than that, nowadays.

Anyway, luckily (or regrettably?) it is not the case here that developers
(regular ones at least) are paid more than dbas... :-P not that we get paid a
lot... I think that speaks to the level of the devs' salaries more than it does
to the dba's

Don't worry, they'll soon fix that!
;-)

--