Re: Is a RDBMS needed?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:22:00 +1000

(pssst, Norman!):

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/public_html/pages/work.htm

I wrote that in 1998: it was part of my site back then, "the Den".
It's never been more actual!   :-)
Particularly the last section, which nearly explains how Uniface works.
Good design has never gone out of fashion: it's only been ignored by ignorant posers parading as "experts". We gave up on tar and feathers too soon...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) wrote,on my timestamp of 30/06/2011 7:57 PM:

Uniface - many years ago - was the only application builder that I would
consider as being able to provide database independence. It had an
"assignment" file which told it to use Oracle (ORA) or SQL Server (MSS)
or plain text (TXT) and so on. Whichever setting was used caused a
different database layer library to be used to query the database. It
worked and it worked well.