Re: Is Rollback a Transaction !

  • From: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx ,oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:52:25 +0000

That's not a trivial question - it depends what you want to mean by
"transaction".

Techincally the mechanism for processing a rollback ends with exactly the same
operation as a commit, i.e. generation of a "commit SCN" an update to the
relevant undo segment header transaction table entry.

You then have to worry about counting sys-recursive events (such as space
management). Unfortunately Oracle doesn't give you all the information you
need; you have:

user commits
user rollback
transaction rollbacks

The last statistics includes user rollbacks though, and there is no statistic
for recursive commits.  The closest approximation you get for a total count
used to be a statistic about "calls to kcmgas" - but in 11g that can be
incremented quite a lot more by actions other than commits and rollbacks.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis