Re: Is Oracle going to be an operating system?

  • From: "Paul Drake" <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:17:35 -0500

On 11/16/06, Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was in a meeting today with some colleagues giving trip reports from
open world and apparently from what they seemed to have heard was that
Oracle was going to "take over Linux". Now we all know that's not going
to happen, but the tone was that Oracle was really going to get into the
operating system business... become "grid like"... ;-)

I certainly could see oracle offering their own version on Linux to run
a "database" server but the message that was presented to me was Oracle
would offer - customize & support a Linux operating system to run java
based applications- totally independent of database software

In other words, "oracle" is not just a database anymore!

I know that with MS taking Suse and oracle trying to knock off RH

Bob,

Those were 2 events were press announcements.
Did anything actually change?
I think not.
Larry got to exercise his ego and Ballmer got to mess with the fearful.
Big deal.

Paul

- the
two companies could offer "enterprise level of support" to an enterprise
deployment of Linux - is this believable? ... I dont think so ;-)
<Im getting in the conversation late though...>

What's the consensuses - current mindset - believability of this group
of professionals?

Long term vision or smokescreen?

Thanks
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify