Invalid filehandle error from utlfile * resolved *****

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-db-l" <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle tech-old list" <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle rdbms group" <oracle-rdbms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:10:01 -0400

Programming error.

There was an "when others" exception handler which closed the file.  It
was within a loop and processing continued thus next write attempt
failed.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We are getting the invalid_filehandle error after outputting a dozen
rows of data.  The error started after an extra column was added to the
output line.  This column is coming from a table.  If we hard code the
entry in place of the database column - it works.  However, if use the
database column we get the error.  We do get output for some and then
hit the row that is causing a problem.  What conditions would cause this
kind of error.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113