RE: Invalid filehandle error from utlfile

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:20:27 -0400

Here is a portion of the code.  If comment out the crec.s line and
uncomment the Jeff line it works.  Crec.s is coming from a table - I
know its a horrible column name being selected into.

c_text:= 'A' ||chr(9)||
          crec.b ||chr(9)||
          crec.c ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
          crec.t ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
          crec.g ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
          crec.i ||chr(9)||
          crec.j ||chr(9)||
          crec.k ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
             ' ' ||chr(9)||
          crec.r ||chr(9)||
          crec.s ||chr(9);
--          'jeffhere' ||chr(9);

if c_text is not null then
   dbms_output.put_line(c_text);
 dbms_output.put_line('length'||to_char(length(crec.s)));
 dbms_output.put_line(crec.s);
   utl_file.putf(fhandle,c_text||'\n');

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> "Dunbar, Norman" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/17/07
5:45 AM >>>

Morning Jeffrey,

>> We are getting the invalid_filehandle error after outputting
>> a dozen rows of data.
<SNIP>
>> What conditions would cause this kind of error.

I have to guess here unfortunately (ducks Alex !) as you haven't
posted
any code, however, based on my own past experience, it could be caused
by :

* some data in the new column is causing an exception.
* that exception is closing the file handle
* the post exception processing is trying to write to the (now closed)
file handle.

Or

* something in the exception handler is overwriting the file handle
when
it shouldn't be doing so.

Any chance we can see the before code and after code (or at least the
bits that changed) - it might be easier to spot the problem.

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify
the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you
should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for
litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any
Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than
the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our
terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.
Find out more about the Environment Agency at
www.environment-agency.gov.uk

dangerous content by GCRTA Mail Scanner, and is
believed to be clean.