Re: Intermittent ORA-12516 ( TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack)

  • From: dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: frasebook4@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:22:21 +0000 (UTC)

You can get this error if you have maxed out available processes/sessions on
the database.
Check the alert.log for either of those errors.
There are a variety of situations that can spawn large number of processes on
your system when the regular number of processes/sessions appears to be low,
like default parallelism on a query and as explained in this note

Intermittent TNS-12516 or TNS-12519 Errors When Connecting Via Oracle Net (Doc
ID 240710.1)

there can be a lag as to when the listener determines the instance is
overwhelmed versus what the reality may be. Also the parallelism as mentioned
based on bad parallel value settings can cause the spawning of a large amount
of parallel processes. In one example query I ran into on a system recently, it
was spawning 1024 parallel processes.