RE: Interesting question

  • From: "Stephen Andert" <StephenAndert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:22:45 -0600

Paula,

You should have been in Peter Robson's session last week: "Stay Alert
to Your Data Integrity With Exception Reports".  While he was addressing
in-house development, the same concepts apply to COTS packages as well.
Really well organized system and well presented.

Stephen

>>> Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/23/04 12:52PM >>>
Let's say I am a DBA dealing with COTS packages and my COTS vendors =
introduce modules into the system (in a hurry) that seem to be
redundant =
- like - "don't we have that table already????" - "can't we use this =
existing table???" - "don't we already have a stored proc like
that???"

My answer was create a data dictionary/data model and find out about
the =
modules as they come in but ensuring you do the change control into =
production. =20

However, this was not the answer someone was looking for - they were =
looking for some tool - like DBEXAMINER???? that would do this =
somehow????  I thought that was my job - but heh - is there a tool like
=
that? =20