Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

  • From: "stephen booth" <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:32:51 +0100

On 04/08/06, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8/4/06, Guerra, Abraham J <AGUERRA@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Your very best friends are:  'Cold Backup' (hot whenever you can't do
> colds) and make sure your database is in archivelog mode if you want
> full recovery...

Please explain why a cold backup is necessary.

Clearly you have never heard a system administrator utter the phrase: "But, they were only logfiles. We needed to clear some space." coupled with "We don't backup logs."

With a cold backup you *know* that you can get the database back in a
working state, even if some sysadmin has gone nuts and earned
themselves a place in a large body of water encased in chicken wire
with some heavy weights for company.

I've not yet utterly seen a database lost due to a hardware failure or
software bug, I've seen several utterly lost due to sysadmin 'error'.
In each case the root of the problem has been that sysadmins have had
control of the Oracle servers (because management didn't want Oracle
DBAs doing sysadmin work) and have messed in the Oracle directories
(or fiddled with the backup jobs) without first consultign the DBAs.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/

'nohup cd /; rm -rf * > /dev/null 2>&1 &'