Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:22:21 +0100

On 8/4/06, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/08/06, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > On 8/4/06, Guerra, Abraham J <AGUERRA@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > Your very best friends are: 'Cold Backup' (hot whenever you can't do > > colds) and make sure your database is in archivelog mode if you want > > full recovery... > > > Please explain why a cold backup is necessary. >

Clearly you have never heard a system administrator utter the phrase:
"But, they were only logfiles.  We needed to clear some space."
coupled with "We don't backup logs."

With a cold backup you *know* that you can get the database back in a
working state, even if some sysadmin has gone nuts and earned
themselves a place in a large body of water encased in chicken wire
with some heavy weights for company.

With a hot backup you also *know* that you can get the database back. There is no difference. Now if you are going to suggest that after sysadmins delete part or all of a backup to save space then you have problems, well obviously I agree. The same however surely applies to cold backups as well.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA