Re: Indexing a char column

  • From: Lothar Flatz <l.flatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:44:48 +0100

Hi CP,

I would rather not index a 150 char long  column. Is the actual length
really 150?
what is the comparison operator? I think there is a chance it is not
equal, but substr, like or similar.

Thanks

Lothar

On 10.03.2015 12:22, Cee Pee wrote:
List

I see a table being hit and queried a few thousand times over peak
hours. The table has more than million rows and grows while
operational. I did not measure the growth fully, but based on
monitoring for several minutes, it is adding about 20 to 40 rows in
few seconds, when i was checking via sqlplus. I dont see this growth
most of the times though. It is a small table with 6 columns and the
app in a web application. There is also another sql that is run
constantly that accesses the rows based on one of the char columns
which is 150 characters, but there is no index on the column which is
causing a tablescan. Is this column a bad candidate for indexing. Any
rule of thumb length for char columns above which adding index is
considered moot? v11.2.

CP.

--

---