Re: Indexing a CLOB

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: zimsbait@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:42:38 -0600

Actually Context / interMedia / Oracle Text (the name changes over
releases) is perfect for indexing CLOBs - very fast.  I used it with a
past company on Oracle8i.  The only problem then was that domain indexes
couldn't be partitioned.  With 9i and 10g I believe that restriction was
removed, which makes Oracle Text indexes and the tables they're on
partitionable.  The search tools are rich and performance is great.  I
highly recommend using out-of-line CLOBs - you have more options for
placing the CLOB segments and keeping your base table lean and fast wrt,
say, full table scans.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

z b <zimsbait@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/12/2009 11:46 AM
Please respond to
zimsbait@xxxxxxxxx

Ben.Wittmeier@xxxxxxxxx
cc
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Indexing a CLOB

What exactly is slow?

Context is used to search within lobs - probably not relevant here.

Try caching the lob.

alter table <table> modify lob (lob_name) (cache);

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ben Wittmeier <Ben.Wittmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>  We need to increase the size of a data field beyond its varchar2(4000)
> definition because 4000 characters isn't large enough.  The field is
> currently not indexed.  The developer has done some initial testing with
> CLOB's but found the performance with the CLOB seemed slow so he's
> wondering about an index on the field.  Though he also said the slow
> performance may be a result of the way he's doing things with the CLOB
> (as this is new to him).  Are there any options available to index the
> CLOB field to improve performance? Oracle mentions using a CONTEXT
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on indexing CLOB fields?

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.