Re: Indexing NULL in the Oracle Database, is this the best practice?

  • From: Lothar Flatz <l.flatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 07:00:13 +0100

Hi Mike,

/"Do not try using it as a hint on a production system until it is documented for public use."

/As far as I know this will likely never happen. That most hints are undocumented is a strategic decision. /
/
Regards

Lothar/
/
On 03.01.2017 23:57, Michael D O'Shea/Woodward Informatics Ltd wrote:

Indeed Liz.

There are of course hints and then there are hints. My deity sprinkles the latter category with caveats and comments like "Caution My experiments with the opt_estimate hint showed the effects changing across different versions of 10.1. Do not try using it as a hint on a production system until it is documented for public use". This doesn't fill me with much confidence at all, and at the time I very much appreciated the warning.

~

Mike
Long suffering Developer

On 3 Jan 2017, at 22:31, Reen, Elizabeth <elizabeth.reen@xxxxxxxx <mailto:elizabeth.reen@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hinting is done by my developers all the time. My ETL team is very fond of the ROWID hint. L
Liz
Long suffering DBA