Re: Indexing NULL in the Oracle Database, is this the best practice?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael D O'Shea/Woodward Informatics Ltd <woodwardinformatics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 13:34:41 -0500

On 01/01/2017 06:49 AM, Michael D O'Shea/Woodward Informatics Ltd wrote:

> I am not a big fan of using semi documented functions like
> that, because developers usually don't know anything about them.

And yet we accept Oracle SQL 'hinting' without challenge, despite such demonstrably poor Oracle documentation.

Michael D. O’Shea
Woodward Informatics Ltd: http://www.strychnine.co.uk

Hinting is usually done by the DBA, who should know the basic hints and how to use them. Other than that, I am not sure who are "we" and how do "we" accept Oracle SQL hinting without challenge? Given that hints are usually issued by the DBA, what would that challenge look like? DBA walking on the walls of the Elsinore castle, and saying something like "to hint, or not to hint, that is the question now"? Besides the dubious literary value, I am not sure that such a soliloquy would have any effect of on the functioning of the database(s) entrusted to the DBA.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA