RE: Index unusable after rebuild

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:41:00 -0500

Since nobody else has replied, I'll say what little I know.
(I hope you don't mind if I change the thread/subject.)

I see your version is 9.2.0.1.  As much as we all know and love Oracle, and
are convinced of its absolute infallibility, it is fact that there were some
very nasty bugs in version 9.  Some of these were that things that were
supposed to be online were not.  When we originally "upgraded" to 9, our
production systems ended up in a ditch more than once because of memory
fragmentation and online maintenance that was only sort of -- but not quite
-- online.  I don't recall the versions where the problems exist.  9.2.0.4
seems to have eliminated the major bugs.  I think some of the Oracle push to
the self-managing, self-tuning, self-burping database resulted in some real
crapola code getting into the RDBMS -- a case of trying to cram in too many
new features in too short a time.

There are other possibilities such as a table being moved after the index
was built.  But I suppose you would know about those.