Re: Index question

  • From: SJHussain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:14:23 +0300

Well, I had the problem with a similar situation where I had created an
index on the single column to improve the performance.

Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
DBA Consultant
ITD/Systems Department/Database Section
Tel : 01 4042222 x 1020
Mobile : 0506446723

             Rick Stephenson
             <RStephenson@Ovid
             Sent by:                  "Oracle ListServ
             oracle-l-bounce@f         (oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)"
             reelists.org              <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             08/10/2004 06:08                                      Subject
             PM                        Index question

             Please respond to
             oracle-l@freelist
                   s.org

I have a query that references Table t column c in the where clause.  Table
t already has an index on (column c, column d).  Is there any reason to add
an index to table t that contains just column c?  I know that Oracle will
use the other index because of the leading column, but is there a
performance hit due to it being a composite index?

I am running Oracle EE 9.2.0.5.

Thanks,

Rick Stephenson

Visit us on www.alfransi.com.sa
======  Banque Saudi Fransi - Privacy Notice  ======
This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this in error,  please
contact the sender and delete the material from  your computer.  Any
opinions and other information  contained in this message that do not
relate to the official  business  of  Banque  Saudi  Fransi shall be
understood as neither given or endorsed by it. Although precautions
have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this email, BSF
cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the
use of this email or attachments.
======  Banque Saudi Fransi - Privacy Notice  ======