Re: Incrementally Updated Backups (RMAN)

  • From: Wayne Smith <wts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:45:02 -0500

You sort of mentioned it in your opening remarks, Kumar ... but here are a
three pitfalls:

   - If your backup system is expiring files independently from RMAN, you
   can be left with useless backups.
   - If your backup system is vaulting just some of the backups, then the
   vault may not have all the pieces you need for a restore.
   - If your backup system never expires files, then you may have backups
   that are never discarded.  An example is taking a database out of service,
   but leaving/forgetting its backups.  I suppose an "open database resetlogs"
   would have rman forget backups?  I don't know the answer to this question.

Cheers, Wayne