Re: Increment an alphabetic variable in a PL/SQL loop?

  • From: Alisher Yuldashev <yuldashev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:32:41 -0500

declare
 var1 char;
begin
 for i in 65..90
 loop
   var1:=chr(i);
   dbms_output.put_line(var1);
 end loop;
end;

Thanks,

--
Alisher Yuldashev
Senior Oracle DBA
The Pythian Group - Ottawa, Canada
Web  : http://www.pythian.com

Hey how can we increment an alphabetic variable in PL/SQL?

Let's say I have var1 = 'A' for the first pass, but for the second pass, I want it to autoincrement to var1='B' and ultimately to 'Z'.

I'm searching but its hard to find the right search terms to give me what I want.

*/Chris Taylor/*

*Sr. Oracle DBA*

Ingram Barge Company

Nashville, TN 37205

Office: 615-517-3355

Cell: 615-354-4799

Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.*