Re: Impressing your boss

  • From: Kip.Bryant@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:48:08 -0700

People have mentioned two things: documentation and metrics.  Both technical
and non-technical managers like to see these things.  I think it is important
that you take both these items seriously since bogus information will
eventually harm you.

I think the difference in what you would do for a technical and non-technical
manager might be presentation.  A more graphical approach and more explanation
may be necessary for a non-technical manager but might not work as well for a
technical manager (especially if you spend too much time on it...I know that's
vague).  On the other hand, a technical manager often needs to provide
information to non-technical management they report to.

Try to pick a few key items to provide right away rather than taking a long
time to provide a more comprehensive picture otherwise you may appear to be
"doing nothing".  You'll have to judge for yourself but discussing this with
your manager might be a good idea.  This could avoid solving the wrong
problem.  Hmmm...even if it's the right problem, it's won't be if your manager
has a different point of view.  Boy, I could get beat up on that one...

I once had a manager who told me that sometimes you have to do "the right
thing" instead of "doing things right".  It took me a long time to understand
what he was talking about.

Now I'll reallly stick my neck out:  Think about these items: availability
(uptime), capacity (a simple growth forecast to CYA), and performance (DB,
server, network...).

Kip

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:29:45 +0000
From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Impressing your boss
Sender: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

managers love metrics. Come up with some completely irrelevant statistics to do
a 'db health check'. Show that these numbers are horrible. Then make some
completely irrelevant change and show your boss the same irrelevant metrics and
proclaim that the db is now healthy.

Spit out some archaic and jumbled techno-babble so that noone has any idea what
you are talking about(they will assume you are smart, because only smart people
talk like that).

this actually works... its also useful to get managers to go away when they get
annoying.