Re: Importing MS Access to Oracle

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:02:15 -0500

On 03/11/2004 10:54:30 AM, Huascar Espinoza wrote:
> I have another question about Oracle performance... I want to import MS
> Access to Oracle (Delphi as programming tool). But all the mechanisms
> are slows. By SQL Loader the process of importing 2,000,000 registers
> take 2.5 hours (take in account 30 mins. to parcer the file in TEXT
> format). Using SQL Server, through link tables, I get the same process
> in 40 mins.
>
> What is the better and fast mechanism to import information to Oracle,
> from MS Access?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Huascar Espinoza

2.5 million records takes 2.5 hours? Man, you're doing something seriously
wrong.
How many MEMO fields do you have? What are you loading them into? Blobs? Longs?
BFILE? As for SQL*Loader, if you were doing parallel and direct load into a
NOLOGGING
table, and if the stuff you were loading consisted of short numeric/textual
fields,
the whole thing would be loaded in less then 10 minutes on a 400 MHZ PC using
the sorry excuse for an operating system, produced near Seattle, WA.