RE: Important: Oracle processes taking lots of CPU

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'New DBA'" <new_dba_on_the_block@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:12:48 -0800

Hi New DBA,

>As I understand, the CPU is used while performing
>LIOs, doing calculation, sorts or while spinning for
>the latches. My understanding might be wrong! Since
>there aren't enough LIOs or complex calculations
>involved I thought that spinning for latches might be
>causing excessive CPU.

Spinning does cause CPU issues. I believe that if you have many processes
and comparatively lesser number of processors, then you might have a lot of
CPU consumption that is unaccounted for as cycles used for process context
switching is not accounted in oracle. You will have to then look at 'sar -u'
( look for high %sys), 'sar -q' (look for high run queue size and occupancy)
and 'sar -w' (look for excessive process switches).

Let us know if this helps,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

http://tahiti.oracle.com   - Manuals for DBAs (English only)
http://www.bibleserver.com - Manual for Life (in English, Deutsch, French,
Italian, Spanish, Portugese, Turkish,...)

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **