Importance of local bin directory while running root.sh

  • From: "Mahadevan, Sundar" <Sundar.Mahadevan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:22:56 -0400

Hi All,
Good morning. While running root.sh as root during binary installation (any
version), the questions below come up. What is the importance of
/usr/local/bin? My understanding is that the value should be the
$ORACLE_HOME/bin instead of /usr/local/bin. Am I right? When there are many
ORACLE_HOME with different versions(lets say 9i, 10g and 11g), what impact does
it have on the setting of local bin directory location? Ideally speaking, do I
have to set them to their respective $ORACLE_HOME/bin ? Many Thanks for your
help.

# /opt/oracle/products/9208/root.sh
Running Oracle9 root.sh script...
The following environment variables are set as:
    ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=  /opt/oracle/products/9208
Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory: [/usr/local/bin]:
The file "dbhome" already exists in /usr/local/bin.  Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]:
The file "oraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin.  Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]: y
   Copying oraenv to /usr/local/bin ...
The file "coraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin.  Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]: y
   Copying coraenv to /usr/local/bin ...
Adding entry to /var/opt/oracle/oratab file...
Entries will be added to the /var/opt/oracle/oratab file as needed by
Database Configuration Assistant when a database is created
Finished running generic part of root.sh script.
Now product-specific root actions will be performed.

--Sundar